Low-Level Radioactive Materials Processing Veolia Nuclear Solutions has its own facility in Wampum, PA. This U.S.-based facility with worldwide expertise and nuclear experts, is adept at processing radioactive waste, equipment and materials for disposal or recovery related services.
Strategically located near multiple utilities and other facilities in the nuclear industry, our facility is an ideal transfer site for soils and debris generated through decommissioning that are ultimately disposed of at a low-level disposal site.
Annually, thousands of tons of radioactive material are processed at this facility, including dry active waste, metals, soil, rubble and large components such as turbine rotors and large heat exchangers.
Main services to our clients
Our main services include:
- Licensed facility access – we own and maintain a Radioactive Materials License issued by the State of Pennsylvania, which is an NRC Agreement State.
- Survey/decontamination – provide radioactive surveys and decontamination of various equipment and components
- Low-level radioactive waste – includes processing and consolidation, volume reduction and sizing, decontamination
- Motor shop – electric motor and pump decontamination, repair, refurbishment
- Specialty coatings – decontamination, repair, refurbishment
Focus on Radioactive Waste Decontamination
Veolia Nuclear Solutions reviews and evaluates contaminated and/or potentially contaminated equipment and components. If the radioactive constituents can be removed by decontamination and released for unrestricted use, these items may be recoverable assets for your company.
Using our Asset Recovery Program, our clients will realize measurable savings through reuse of their recovered equipment. The equipment can be reused for its original intended purpose as non-radioactive items, eliminating disposal and replacement costs.
Items that we regularly decontaminate include:
- Lead blankets and other lead components.
- Electrical equipment, such as controllers, relays, printed circuit boards, displays, printers, computers.
- Scaffold, heavy construction equipment (backhoes, tractors, etc.)
- We release equipment for unrestricted use based upon the limits set forth in Reg. Guide 1.86. If requested, we can release equipment to lower levels or no detectable activity.
> To read more about Low-Level Radioactive materials processing